At Littler, we understand that workplace issues can’t wait. With access to more than 1,600 employment attorneys in 100 offices around the world, our clients don’t have to. We aim to go beyond best practices, creating solutions that help clients navigate a complex business world. What’s distinct about our approach? With deep experience and resources that are local, everywhere, we are fully focused on your business. With a diverse team of the brightest minds, we foster a culture that celebrates original thinking. And with powerful proprietary technology, we disrupt the status quo—delivering groundbreaking innovation that prepares employers not just for what’s happening today, but for what’s likely to happen tomorrow. For over 75 years, our firm has harnessed these strengths to offer fresh perspectives on each matter we advise, litigate, mediate, and negotiate. Because at Littler, we’re fueled by ingenuity and inspired by you.
The essential duties and responsibilities include those listed below. Other related duties may be assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Provides leadership and direction to the office staff employees.
- Communicates proactively with the shareholders to ensure that the administrative services and resources are meeting their expectations and the clients’ needs.
- Actively participates in attorney and other office meetings.
- Works effectively with regional Team Leader and as a member of an Office Administrator Team.
- May serve as a Project Leader.
- Seeks input from employees as appropriate and encourages open communication.
- Is proactive in developing plans for the short-term and long-term needs of the office.
- Keeps the attorneys and employees appropriately informed.
- Maintains confidential information.
- Maintains an appropriate level of staffing in the office.
- Hires and supervises the paralegals, legal secretaries and other support staff.
- Provides mentoring and coaching to employees and ensures that they are effectively trained and meeting performance standards.
- Conducts employee performance evaluations, seeking input from the attorneys; counsels employees as appropriate.
- Manages to the highest standards of client service.
- Implements the policies of the Firm in a fair and consistent manner. Conducts meetings with staff as appropriate.
Attorney Development & Recruiting:
- Maintains local office CLE records and ensures compliance with State requirements.
- Manages/coordinates internal firm-wide CLE webinars for local office(s).
- Participates in lateral attorney recruiting including completion and submission of Attorney Hire checklists and verification of current Bar admission.
- Manages client intake procedure and file transfer procedure for lateral Shareholders under the Firm's established procedures.
- Ensures that all facilities and office services functions are well organized, productive and effectively supporting the needs of the office. These services include reception, mail, photocopy, messenger, purchasing and supplies.
- Manages relations with local vendors and local representatives of national vendors.
- Maintains local office emergency response and safety programs.
- Maintains local security system and physical security of space.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate on space utilization, lease administration and subleasing.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate and national real estate vendor on build-out, refurbishment and relocation projects.
- Serves as a liaison to local property management and coordinates maintenance/repair with local property management/outside services.
- Prepares and manages the local office budget and business plan.
- Monitors monthly financial reports and prepares local summary reports for shareholders; explains variances to budget.
- Oversees organized year-end collection efforts and may participate in direct collection activities.
- Approves firm and client invoices, check requests and expense reports.
- Monitors and controls staffing, operating expenses and expense recovery.
- Manages timekeepers’ weekly time entry/release to ensure deadlines are met.
- Ensures successful printing, collating, distribution and timely return of prebills in accordance with Firm standards, and communicates success and/or problems with Accounting.
- Coordinates financial matters as needed with the Accounting Department.
Human Resources Management:
- Ensures compliance with the firm’s HR policies.
- Manages the Human Resources activities of the office, including recruiting, hiring, orientation, policy development and implementation, staff training, performance evaluations, staff counseling, transfer or discharge of non-exempt employees within approved guidelines, salary administration, exit interviews, and personnel record keeping.
- Manages attorney and staff leaves in local office(s) in conjunction with HR/Benefits Department.
- Coordinates and manages new hire training for all new employees in office in conjunction with HR/Training Department.
- Promotes an environment that fosters excellence and high morale.
- Maintains safety equipment records and manages safety training of appropriate employees (including CPR and AEDs).
- Coordinates safety and security issues with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Coordinates employment issues as needed with the Human Resources Department.
- Works collaboratively with local attorneys, Corporate and Regional resources to identify and implement individual attorney and local office client development, marketing and promotional opportunities, including coordination and management of local client seminars, breakfast briefings and other business development events.
- Provides assistance with proposals, research or other client development requests.
- Ensures that the local client mailing list is properly maintained and up-to-date (i.e., InterAction).
- Maintains collateral materials; prepares and distributes new business packets.
- Serves as a liaison and local resource to the Marketing Department.
- Provides useful insight to operational data that can be used by Senior Director of Office Operations to materially affect departmental directions and operations.
- Manages local travel administration.
- Directs the planning and implementation of various office events such as client event, holiday parties, staff appreciation activities, and other social events sponsored by the office.
Practice Support and Information Management:
- Manages secretarial support, coverage and workflow;
- Manages paralegal support, utilization and case assignments;
- Manages local adherence of new business intake; docket/calendar systems and compliance; records management and case filing.
- Works collaboratively with Regional Litigation Support personnel.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate and Regional IT personnel to ensure functionality of all systems.
- Ensures that users receive appropriate orientation and training on software applications and systems.
- Works with IT resources to coordinate local rollouts and initiatives; oversee problem resolution for users and provide feedback to IT management on the user experience.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a closely related field
Thorough understanding of law firm or professional services administration, facilities management, and human resources management as normally acquired through a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a closely related field.