The Trust and Estates department of Loeb & Loeb LLP has an immediate opening for a Paralegal in its Washington, DC office. The paralegal will work with our legal team with responsibilities including, but not limited to:
The Trust and Estates Paralegal’s day to day responsibilities will include:
- Estate Administration, including keeping track of dates and preparing probate forms and basic accounts
- Filing with the DC, MD and Virginia Court and Probate offices, in person and e-filing, and working on ancillary proceedings in many other jurisdictions
- Coordination of the appropriate valuation of assets
- Limited transfer of assets and funding of various irrevocable trusts
- Trust administration assistance including Crummey Notices and tracking distribution dates for various payments, annuity obligations, etc.
- Work closely with attorneys in the preparation of Federal and State estate and gift tax returns, as well as other fiduciary assistance (e.g., fiduciary income tax returns)
Skills needed to be successful:
- It is expected that a candidate will have prior experience communicating with beneficiaries, accountants, financial institutions, as well as practical experience with tax and accounting computer software (FPS/OneSource preferred). Five to seven years relevant experience is strongly preferred.
- The ideal candidates will be highly organized, possess excellent proofing and strong communication (oral and written) skills; the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment; a very strong attention to detail; and a professional demeanor.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and build relationships with lawyers, clients and staff to achieve results. Requires a high level of collaboration with attorneys and staff and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and using the internet is a must. Working knowledge of iManage or other filing databases and web technology would be beneficial.
The statements contained in these position descriptions are not necessarily all-inclusive. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position. In accepting a position, it is understood that continued employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. A satisfactory background check is the absence of a criminal record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant/employee’s suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
Send resumes to [login to unmask email]
Loeb & Loeb is an Equal Opportunity Employer.