Our Corporate and Private Wealth Practices have an excellent opportunity for a Legal Secretary in the Washington, DC office. This is non-exempt position that reports to the Human Resources Manager. The ideal candidate will possess excellent people, organization, and planning skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities. This role requires creativity and the ability to think innovatively and exercise independent judgment when necessary.
- Delivers excellent work and superior service to the Firm’s clients; contributes to the Firm’s reputation for excellence by providing highly efficient and effective secretarial and administrative support to a legal team consisting of three or more attorneys.
- Assist attorneys in meeting client-service support demands, including providing telephone support (answering questions and otherwise being helpful to callers), performing administrative tasks as requested, performing document production, time entry and other related tasks.
- Communicates with attorneys and assists in balancing the team’s workload to ensure completion of projects within established time frames and quality standards; seeks guidance from the Human Resources Manager when workload demands and deadlines dictate.
- Prepares internal paperwork, including expense vouchers, messenger vouchers and other such forms required by other support departments.
- Schedules various events and meetings. Work with Travel Department regarding business trips, schedule conference rooms using the Conference Room Scheduler, and order refreshments for meetings, when necessary. Legal Secretary should anticipate peripheral needs.
- Prepares and processes legal documents and papers including, but not limited to editing documents, preparing redlines and tables of contents.
- Provides dependable, flexible support. Demonstrates teamwork by providing secretarial and administrative support to others as requested by the Human Resources Manager whenever workload permits; contributes to the assimilation of new legal and support staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Firm’s secretarial policies and all applicable administrative procedures.
- Other duties as requested and assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of law firm experience required, supporting a minimum of five attorneys.
- Advanced skills in Word (using styles, track changes and document comparison programs); proficient in Excel and PowerPoint; Advanced skills with Outlook, Adobe Acrobat.
- Interpersonal communication skills necessary in order to maintain effective relationships with partners, attorneys, clients and staff in person, by e‑mail and telephone.
- Must be detailed oriented, able to work independently and in a team environment and able to implement high priority projects.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and possess strong organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential and sensitive information.
- Fundamental knowledge of legal terminology.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service and be able to clearly and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit their resume to [login to unmask email]. Please remember to include the job title and office location in the subject or body of your email.
BakerHostetler is recognized as one of the leading law firms in the country. With nearly 1,000 attorneys across 17 offices coast to coast, BakerHostetler is a great place to work for those who seek professional and personal growth in a collaborative environment. We deliver the highest quality counsel to our clients, who include many of the nation’s largest and most well-known companies. BakerHostetler’s values have remained unchanged since our founding more than 100 years ago: dedication to the law, commitment to the highest standard of client service, continuous development of our people and active participation in the communities in which we work and live.
BakerHostetler offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit program. Specific information is provided during the interview process.
- Competitive Salaries
- Performance Bonus Program
- Generous Time Off
- Generous Retirement Program including 401(k) Plan
- Group Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- BHealthy Wellness Program
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Accident Insurance – Self and Family
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Pre-Tax Benefit Programs
Please visit www.bakerlaw.com for more information about our Firm.
Baker & Hostetler LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.