PUBLIC RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (Click Here to Apply)
The Public Relations and Communications Specialist will report to the Director of Communications and provide comprehensive communications assistance to enhance the firm’s strategic marketing, business development, and public relations initiatives.
This individual will be responsible for helping to create and manage proactive and reactive internal and external communications to enhance the visibility of the firm’s brand, practices, culture, and lawyers internally and externally in the local and national markets.
This position is eligible to participate in the firm's flexible work program.
The firm requires that this individual have extensive writing experience and should be familiar with AP style. This person should be a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects as they will be creating and managing strategic content for the firm’s intranet and posting key content to the intranet and firm website.
This job requires knowledge of PR and an individual applying for this job would preferably have relationships with legal and trade press. This individual should be comfortable conducting media outreach and helping our partners create relationships with reporters, including pitching articles and client alerts, quotes, and interviews.
Strategy & Planning
• This individual will work with the Director of Communications on strategic Communications projects relating to crisis communications, attorney on-boarding, client, and industry-focused campaigns and more.
• Help with a long-term plan for firm content management, firm news and developments, presentations, compiling media reports, and best practices and guidelines.
• Serve as point of contact in the Communications team that will coordinate and interact with all internal firm functions such as marketing, business development, lawyers, and leadership; as well as external contacts such as clients and reporters.
• Help manage the content on the firm’s intranet’s, including its homepage
• Coordinate and help manage the editorial and quality assurance process with content creators including Marketing, IT, HR, Legal Talent, Accounting, and Firm Management departments
• Draft write-ups and summaries of awards, recognitions, firm news and media mentions for the intranet, firm website and other communications vehicles as needed
• Work with the Director of Communications on Media Relations; including drafting press releases and other external promotions
• Coordinate with business development, marketing and helping with posting to our social media platforms
• Prepare media briefings, provide media trainings, maintain media lists, track media coverage, respond to reporter requests, help with media at events, secure reprint permissions, and help draft the Communication team’s quarterly and annual reports.
• Position operates in a professional office environment which is usually quiet to moderate
• Position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets
• Position requires that the employee be able to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
• This position is primarily a sedentary position. However, some duties and responsibilities may require the employee to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend or stand, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, occasionally move about to access office equipment, file cabinets, etc.
• May require employee to carry or lift items weighing up to 10 pounds
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to communicate professionally and effectively, both in oral and written form
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize/coordinate deadlines and track progress of tasks
• Ability to organize workflow and use time efficiently
• Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to manage job responsibilities and be proactive as well as reactive when appropriate, depending on tasks
• Must maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials
• Must establish and maintain effective working relationships in or out of a team environment
• Understands and adopts the organizational structure
• Possesses the attitude of collaboration and sharing
• Willingness to learn and adopt new methodologies
• Strong knowledge of content and Web content management technologies, protocols, and development tools
• Proficiency with office productivity applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat); aptitude for learning new software strongly preferred
• Flexibility and willingness to respond to issues during and outside of core business hours
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• College diploma and at least three to five years’ work experience in a position that requires communications-related skills, including media relations
• Knowledge of AP Style
• Extensive writing and copyediting experience and knowledge
This description outlines the basic requirements of this position. It is not intended to be a complete description as other duties may be assigned.
*Wiley is committed to the continued health and safety of all members of the firm and requires all members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Therefore, all newly hired personnel must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. Proof of vaccination will be required. Wiley will provide reasonable accommodation(s) based on approved medical or religious accommodation requests.
**Wiley is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the achievement of excellence, diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
***This Organization Participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.