Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
For the health and safety of the workforce, Crowell & Moring LLP is requiring that all prospective employees present proof that they are fully-vaccinated and—if eligible—boosted against COVID-19, or seek a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons, prior to their first day of employment. Prospective employees who are fully-vaccinated but not yet eligible for a booster shot will be required to obtain a booster within one week of eligibility as a condition of continued employment. “Crowell & Moring LLP is an equal opportunity employer. Crowell & Moring LLP will engage in the interactive process with candidates who are unable to be vaccinated and/or boosted due to a sincerely held religious belief or medical reasons and explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Crowell & Moring is able to offer.”
The Human Resources Manager will serve as an HR Business Partner supporting key areas of human resources including retention of top talent, employee relations, employment compliance, and will be an adviser to management on employee-related issues for Crowell & Moring’s DC office. The Manager will foster partnerships across the HR function to deliver value added service to client groups and employees that reflect the business objectives of the firm. Additionally, the Manager will oversee the Support Services Department in DC, implementing department goals and objectives in partnership with the Support Services Manager.
- Partners with other HR Managers and Senior Manager, and takes the lead when appropriate, to deliver on complex HR projects such as annual surveys, talent recruitment and retention, performance evaluations, mentoring and sponsorship.
- Provides advice and counsel to managers, supervisors and employees regarding personnel practices, policy and compliance with applicable employment laws.
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention; responds to employee relations issues as appropriate.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues and conducts effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Documents issues and collaborates with labor and employment counsel and the general counsel’s office to report findings and recommendations.
- Interprets and partners with HR team members in the administration of leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, PFL, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.) for professional staff and lawyers.
- Oversees the Support Services Department and takes an active role in planning and implementing departmental goals and objectives in partnership with the Support Services Manager.
- Works closely with other HR team members in maintaining and updating the new hire orientation program; partners with the Learning and Professional Development Director and other team members to conduct new hire orientation for lawyers, as needed.
- Conducts exit interviews, analyzes data and makes recommendations to the management team for corrective action and continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with the professional development department to ensure seamless integration of leave policies and other policies or programs that span across lawyers and professional staff.
- Tracks HR-related activity and provides monthly and ad hoc reporting to support departmental goals and initiatives.
- Conducts full life cycle talent acquisition for professional staff job vacancies as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must possess strong conflict management skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload.
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding non-legal matters of a complex nature. Requires patience, creativity and discretion.
- Ability to manage and administer a broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, counseling managers and employees on the interpretation of policies, procedures and agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and initiatives by effectively setting goals, milestones and meeting completion timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS suite to produce quality written communications such as memos, spreadsheets, slides, reports, presentations, and standard work documents.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws and governmental compliance requirements. Knowledge of immigration laws and processes a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to analyze and interpret information from a variety of sources, apply critical and creative thinking to draw conclusions or develop solutions to complex problems.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years experience in the areas of employee relations and talent management during which a broad knowledge of the human resource profession was demonstrated. Experience in a law firm is preferred.
Please visit our Careers page and apply online - https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/CrowellMoring/professional-staff
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program