At Seyfarth, we understand that great people are the key to our success, and we provide the opportunities to match. If you join us, you’ll work with state-of-the-art technology in a friendly and professional environment, and we will continue to invest in your professional development. If you want the freedom to grow at a firm that is invested in your future, apply here.
As a Legal Secretary, you will provide a variety of secretarial and administrative duties for assigned attorneys. You will be responsible for interacting with colleagues in a team setting and upholding the image of the Firm by maintaining positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff, and observing confidentiality of client matters.
On any given day, you will be working with firm leadership, Partners, local office personnel and business colleagues on a variety of requests and projects. You will:
- Input, revise, and finalize correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents. Draft routine correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- File legal documents in federal and state courts, including e-filing in all courts and agencies; prepare documents for service of process; prepare case “shell” documents for use by attorneys.
- Verify all attachments, exhibits and enclosures are included with transmittal letters/memos.
- Proofread documents and check for appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar.
- Maintain good public relations with clients.
- Review all incoming mail, distribute to teams as needed and upload to the DMS.
- Prepare documents and packages for mail, messenger and overnight delivery.
- Prepare expense reports, manage vendor invoices, mailings, and request checks as needed.
- Process client billing. Assist with review and edit of bills as necessary.
- Schedule appointments and make arrangements for meetings, conferences and travel.
- Complete client/matter intake forms. Request conflicts of interest checks. Open new files. Prepare files to be closed.
- Coordinate and follow through on requests and projects with other support departments (e.g., word processing, receptionists, file/document clerks, office services).
- Provide overflow and absence coverage assistance as well as secretarial support for Secretarial Team Members’ attorneys.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Five to seven years of patent, trademark, and IP litigation experience; law firm experience a plus
- Strong proofreading skills, attention to detail and solid grammar/spelling skills.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
- Legal citation and legal terminology expertise.
- Familiarity with Carpe Diem, Elite, iManage, Chrome River, Forte or similar technology.
- Familiarity with the USPTO website, patent side (Private PAIR, EFS, EPAs, and access to the Deposit Account) and trademark side (TSDR).
- The ability to organize, prioritize and meet the demands of multiple attorney assignments.
- Flexibility to work overtime.
- Good attendance and punctuality
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
Seyfarth provides competitive salary and benefits at all levels, and our culture embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of its professionals like no other firm. Our allied professionals are a collaborative team, helping to define the unique client experience offered by the firm. We understand that it takes more than attorneys to build a successful legal practice; everyone participates in our commitment to excellence.
We are also proud to be an influential leader in inclusion and diversity. The firm has been recognized for our efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. We are Mansfield 2.0 certified, a reflection of our ongoing commitment to advancing candidates from underrepresented groups.
MORE ABOUT SEYFARTH:
With more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Learn more about The Seyfarth Experience at www.seyfarth.com/careers/.
Seyfarth Shaw is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Seyfarth Shaw maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster through the followinglink:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Seyfarth is an EO Employer –M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
It is an essential job requirement to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for this role. If you need an accommodation of any kind for religious or disability reasons, including related to this job requirement, please contact Human Resources.
This position is based in Washington, DC 20004